Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Ceremony: an intro and reading by Megan

(Megan Franzen is a close friend of both the bride and groom)

I’ve known Krissy and Alex since before they knew each other, yet I did not introduce them. This is a very rare phenomenon if you’re not familiar with the NYC scene. But looking back, it’s only natural that two people this fantastic would be cosmically destined to come together. In the fall of 2003, I met Krissy when we were working in a now-defunct mid-town restaurant called Texas Texas, slinging D-quality burgers, steaks, ribs and barbeque chicken to Midwesterners and the occasional Japanese tourist. At that time Krissy was vegetarian and I was in nutrition school, studying the benefits of a plant-based diet. But everybody’s got to pay the rent. Right? Krissy and I became good friends as non-New Yorkers who both had a background in the performing arts. We shared boyfriend drama, probably drank too much and generally made the best out of a pretty seedy job.

Shortly after that, I started attending a business networking organization, called BNI. I was a member of a mid-town chapter that met weekly at 7:00am for runny scrambled eggs and bacon so greasy and limp it could easily slide off the plate. Most of the other members were at least 20 years my senior and included a hodge-podge of weird people who owned their own businesses. To my complete astonishment, one morning as I was scooping some of the breakfast goo on to my plate, I saw a guy who looked about my age. He seemed enthusiastic and friendly as we all exchanged business cards at this crack of dawn meeting. His name was Alex and he was a horticulturist. I had no idea what that meant, but since he seemed to know a lot about plants, so I assumed he was a florist. He was subbing for another member and after that, I always turned up at BNI, hoping that member would have sent Alex in his place.

Fast forward to spring of 2005. Texas Texas had kicked the bucket and I finally realized that I got more satisfaction from another hour of sleep than attending the BNI meetings. Krissy invited me to see some live music on a lazy Sunday afternoon and I was eager to see her, as her voice had a buoyancy which can only mean one thing: A boy. At some point in the afternoon, she received a call from someone who was on his way back from the island and was supposed to meet up with her at the Beer Garden. As a friend, it was my duty to pry. Sparkly-eyed, she confided that she had met a boy on MySpace. Of course, I pressed for details.

“His name is Alex.”

“OK, and what does he do?”

“He’s in school for horticulture.”

My first thought was, “there’s that weird word again” and my second thought was, “Hey, I know an Alex who’s in Horticulture. How many Alexes in horticulture can there be in this city?”

Holy moley! It was the same guy.

Since then, Krissy and Alex’s relationship reminds me of an early 80’s power ballad. It’s sweet, fun, kinda rockin’ and you always want to come back to it when you’re looking to get grounded. They’re kind, genuine people who are supportive no matter what. They work miracles in their crock pot and know how to throw a great party. They are eager to help a sister out of a jam and I have the utmost respect for their bond. I am impressed by these two beautiful people who have one very solid friendship. Their love is steadfast and unquestionable.

I wish Krissy and Alex the most amazing journey, wherever it leads them. And by the looks of it, I think there’s plenty of good stuff in store for you two crazy kids!

They gave me the honor of selecting a passage to read to you today and I think you’ll see why I thought this one was apropos to this occasion…

This is from "Captain Corelli's Mandolin" by Louis de Bernieres

"Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of eternal passion. That is just being "in love" which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident. Those that truly love, have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossom have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two."

No comments:

Post a Comment